Monday 26 April 2010

poor aircon installation causes millions of RM losses

Current Installation Practise, not following Installation Manual.


Old way of installing. Should be the correct way.


My current Sharp Installation manual.


Below is a copy of the reply to Sharp Roxy sales. Their authorised
technican had gone to my house paid with my warranty claim.
Unfortunately he does not find anything wrong with my installation.

I use my knowlege of thermodynamics which Physics and Chemistry SPM
students should be able to apply in analysing the correct way to
install aircons.

The key is hot air rises.
The higher the temperature difference, the higher is the heat
transfer.
When a lower temperature pipe meets with a higher temperature pipe,
the lower temperature will increase in temperature(hotter), while the
higher one will become cooler, i.e. temperature lower.


I suspect the position that we install our aircon is also wrong. We
tend to install our split unit aircon about 7 feet above the floor.
There is a .5 degree temperature difference based on my infrared
temperature reading of the concrete wall.

1)The higher the aircon blower is inside our room, the hotter is the
intake air making it less efficient.
2) Also, cold air sinks and will seep out through gaps in our doors.
Only if the aircon air flow exceeds the amount that leak out, will the
cold air slowly rises from the floor level, and thus lowering the
temperature of our body. If we sit down, it will be only about 3 feet.
If you stand up, it should be lower than 6 feet.

3) So why should we put the blower above 7 feet? There is no need to
cool the air above our head.

Despite my strict instruction to install the aircon at 6 feet, my wife
instructed the installer to install at 7 feet and she thinks that this
is low enough. Aesthetics is more important than efficiency to her. I
think this is the reason why all over the world, they install aircon
at high places on the wall.

Putting the air intake at the bottom of the blower may help to speed
up the cooling since the intake temperature is cooler. We need to
exhaust at higher altitude in order to spread the cold air around the
room faster as well.

I shall upload the photo of the Sharp aircon installation manual at my
blog othmanahmad........

****sent to Sharp Roxy **********
For your info, your authorised technician had come to my house but he
mentioned that this is normal practise, unlike the olden days for my
National Aircon which uses two insulator tubings for each copper pipe.

If this is true, consumers all over Malaysia are losing millions
because of the drop in the efficiency of their aircons which are not
installed correctly even by your authorised aircon installer.

Just a drop of 5% in the efficiency of our aircon will mean that I
shall lose thousands of RM in a few years time.


> I suspect the contractor engaged by my supplier, Top Kinabalu, at Kota
> Kinabalu, Mr. Hua didn't install my Sharp Aircon properly. The use only a
> single insulator to put the two copper pipes together. In the installation
> manual, each copper pipe should be insulated separately.
>
>
> This causes hot pipe to mix with cold pipe making each one less cold for the
> room, and less hot for the compressor to cool efficiently. This causes me
> to lose up to 20% of Aircon efficiency despite the cooling function still
> functioning.
>
> Since my view is not accepted by the dealer since the dealer is not an
> expert in Air con installation, I was asked to get confirmation with the
> supplier of the aircon, i.e. Sharp, in order to check the installation of my
> aircons.
>
> I notice this error when I compare with my National Aircon. Each copper pipe
> has it's own insulation.
>
> Since this contractor is supposed to have installed thousands of aircon
> already, I fear that many customers of all brands had been affected. Since
> each brand of aircon may require a different installation style, I request
> that you send your representation to comment on the installation of my Sharp
> aircon. I notice also that the screws used are too small for such heavy
> aircon compressor.
>
> This may cause safety concerns.
>
>

No comments: