Thursday 1 January 2009

Town localised News and Forums

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topix.net

I came to know about this site when I was looking searching for "Sabah
Pro-independent movement" and I was impressed by the fact that it
shows my posting town, i.e. Kota Kinabalu

When I type www.topix.net, I was immediately forwarded to a news
aggregator portal emphasising on News about Kota Kinabalu.

I'm surprised that there are many bold posts such as the above about
Malaysia that has ISA for just about anyone. Most of those posters are
from outside Malaysia but their knowledge about Malaysia is so great
that they must have contacts within Malaysia.

However some may not be aware that their locations can be revealed so
please read the warnings in the wikipedia article about topix.

Google news only recently introduced Malaysia localised News. This is
probably due to competition from Topix. However I don't just read news
about Kota Kinabalu. I also prefer news about the whole of Sabah since
my home town is Sandakan. Still I may like to know about Sabahans all
over the world so Google News is still useful with its familar search
engine. I'm still not familiar with Topix search engine.

No comments: